Web development is a complex and time consuming process. However, using a PHP framework for web development makes things easy and fast. PHP framework has various inbuilt functions that can easily called to perform a specific task. Earlier, when core PHP was primarily used for website development, the time taken to build a website was much more. With the advent of several frameworks, the process of web development has become less complex and faster. However, it is important to learn the flow and structure of a PHP framework for using it. Development in PHP follows the MVC (Model view controller) structure where everything moves in a pre-defined flow. PHP frameworks may seem difficult to learn, but once mastered, can simplify the web development process. There are various PHP frameworks such as Zend, Cake, Laravel, CodeIgniter and Symphony, etc. As PHP is an open source platform, these frameworks are also open source and thus can be used without a license.
- The website development using PHP frameworks are faster and also rich in functionalities.
- Various complex processes can be made simpler using PHP framework.
Over the years, PHP framework has created a lot of hype among the developers. They have been using it for better web development, thus creating better dynamic websites. Some of the advantages of PHP frameworks are discussed here:
- Better code and file organisation: A PHP framework has a folder structure and the developer is supposed to follow the standards used in the Framework and keep them organised. It may be difficult to follow for developers who are used to coding through command line, but when used continuously, the IDE becomes a cake walk.
- Libraries and Utilities support: Using core PHP for web development can leave you looking for 3rd party libraries and codes for various purposes. PHP frameworks provide various such utilities, libraries and helper codes. These tools can help the developers for performing operations like form validation, I/O filtering, abstraction of database, handling of cookie and sessions and various other.
- MVC pattern: All the framework follows the MVC pattern which helps in proper maintenance of code. The code is separated into a model-representing data structure, views- containing templates and page output and controllers- handles page requests and binds all the components together. Following the pattern result in clean and easy to maintain code.
- Security: Security is another important dimension that PHP framework adds to the web development. There are various functions for input and output filtering that are capable of protecting the website from attacks. It can be used manually too in core PHP, but can be tiresome. Using a framework, it gets done automatically. For instance, when a value is passed to a database, the objects are filtered to protect from attacks using SQL injection.
Code less and build faster: Once the learning curve of PHP frameworks get straight, the developer begins to code faster and fewer lines of code generate the desired output. The developers can experience rapid web development